rhythm to our days

If you missed my last post, here it is -talking about our method for schooling and how we prep for the year ahead.

I am a type 2 on the enneagram and I truly believe personality plays a big part in how we ebb and flow with our days. It also plays a part in how we feel energized, encouraged and more. I'm sharing our daily/weekly rhythm to inspire + encourage... so by no means would I recommend taking this and sticking it into your day.

This past spring one of the best challenges I joined in with was from Summer over on Fawn&Forest and if she hosts the nurturing spaces challenge again, I highly recommend hopping in with it! She walks you through a whole process of how to nurture your space, effectively understand your kiddos needs, simplifying your space and more. This helped me create an even more lifegiving space for our little men!


I printed off this daily rhythm to write out our days and it is on our fridge and I have this cleaning rhythm that I follow too.

So our weekdays flow like this:

WAKE UP - between 6-7AM read devotions, reply to messages

BREAKFAST + CHORES - 7:15AM boys do chores, breakfast together

LESSONS + CHORES - 9:15AM my cleaning chores, morning time + lessons with boys

LUNCH - 12PM prep lunch + eat + one show (bear grylls, little house, the waltons)

QUIET TIME + WORK TIME - 1-3PM boys quiet time in separate rooms, my work time

FREE PLAY - 3-5PM free play outdoors or inside

PREP DINNER + CLEAN UP HOUR - 5-6PM clean up main floor, boys help prep dinner

FAMILY TIME + BEDTIME RHYTHM  + OUR WORK TIME - 6:30-11PM family time, read a book/bath on specific days, our quality time together and work time for our businesses once boys are in bed

We are a one car family so on Thursdays we drive Josh to work and that is our library and nature day! We will usually try to hit up a local museum or outdoor park on this day. Sometimes our days don't flow like this but this is what we aim for in a rhythm and we tweak it every few months with changes to our schedule. Such as if we have soccer planned, more work time planned for a certain season, etc.

I have found having everyday simple cleaning tasks helps keep some sort of order to our home and when these get off balance our whole home can feel and see it! I have tried so many various cleaning routines over the years and the one we currently use has been the best one I have been able to implement and stick too.

I love this quote from Louise May Alcott
"The humblest tasks get beautified if loving hands do them." 

I also love how Jess Connolly calls it 'the lady of the house' day on her IG. It's all about cultivating that space you have and whatever has been given to you. For me? I absolutely abhor cleaning bathrooms, so I try to make it more appealing by playing music while I clean and slowly making it a space I want to walk into with flowers, pictures, paintings, etc. 

You also need recharge days, which is how my weekends are spent. I prep for my week ahead on saturdays and sundays with my calendar, meal planning and loosely planning our school week. 

Some books + posts I recommend for helping you create that rhythm and space: 


If homeschooling has ever seemed daunting to you, I hope this is encouraging for you to see that I truly treat it as an extension of parenting and it meshes well with our days.