then seven came along

There is something about birthdays that cause reflection and all the memories to flood in. Something even more special when you watch your little one grow older each year, time stands still and you wonder how fast the following year will go.

Ian Luke Dawson did not cry for his birthday this year, last year had many tears because he did not want to get older. Every once in a while we will all cuddle on our bed and watch old family videos. We recently saw one of Ian when he was around six months old, sitting in his car seat cooing.

Now he is reading chapter books like Where the Red Fern Grows, drawing constantly in a notebook and making us all giggle with his jokes. Ian has a dog he calls Hobbes that has been his sidekick since he was a toddler and he still carries him around. I am soaking up every moment of this knowing that it will pass all too soon.


Ian is our food pal, he loves all things food related and would gladly skip a gift for a cupcake any day. He also loves to cuddle and hugs are given every hour, multiple times and I hope it continues even when he is taller than me.

Each year we have a mini birthday interview and I love seeing the answers change and some are consistently the same but it always makes for the best memories.

What is your favorite color? Red


What is your favorite toy or thing to do? Reading


What is your favorite fruit? Orange


What is your favorite tv show? the waltons


What is your favorite thing to eat? cake


What is your favorite shirt? my orange and blue shirt


What is your favorite game? I like to play catan


What is your favorite snack? lara bars!


What is your favorite animal? zebras, I like cheetahs too


What is your favorite song? trans siberian


What is your favorite book? where the red fern grows


What is your favorite cereal or breakfast? bacon, eggs and sausage


What is your favorite drink? sparkling water


What is your favorite holiday? my birthday, well I do like Christmas too


Who is your best friend? Ben


What do you like to do outside? I like to play with Ben and sled on the hill


What do you like to take to bed with you? Hobbes!


What do you want for dinner for your birthday? maybe pizza


What do you want to be when you grow up? a Fireman


What color are your eyes? "let me look.." pulls his eye out "brown.." puts it back in


What color is your hair? dark brown


What do you like to learn about? math


What makes you happy? when I am not arguing with Ben


What do you do really well? I do really well reading


If you had a million dollars, what would you buy? maybe a house, if I could afford it